When MetLife Auto & Home asked me to write about features in new cars this was easy because #1 I love talking about cars. Attending the Chicago Auto Show every year is always a blast. #2 It is fresh in my mind – This past summer I embarked on a journey that I had never taken by myself. I went on the hunt for a new car. Actually, there were 2 firsts involved… it was the first time that I was making a car purchase myself, in my name only. And it was the first time that I was searching for a used car.
The process took a few months because I wanted to research. I set up online alerts so that I would know when the type of car that I was interested in would become available. I wasn’t interested in going to a dealership and haggling. I wanted to go knowing exactly what I wanted and that it was available. My minivan was dying a slow death, and I knew that one day I would just look at it and say “No more!!!” Every time I drove it I swear I felt like it was sucking the life right out of me. Each time I was chanting “Please just let me make it home this time.” Yes, it was like that.
I am picky. I was not looking for an old beater to just get me here and there for a little while. I wanted a long term vehicle. I had a short list of options that I wanted. Some of these were for safety and function, some were just because I wanted a touch of luxury! Here was my list:
- SUV – I love the space offered in an SUV. I was in one before, but moved to a minivan after babies. I was itching to get back in an SUV
- Vehicle Year No Older Than 2011 – I didn’t want anything too used because I wanted to find a vehicle with low mileage, and no problems.
- 3rd Row Seats – I have 4 kids. If we were moving from a minivan that seats 7, we needed an SUV that could do the same.
- Good Cargo Space – Let’s face it… you are lucky if you can fit your purse and 2 bags into the back of some so-called SUVs. I needed one with room for all of us, our backpacks, luggage, groceries, or anything else that we needed to haul during outings.
- Sunroof – Just because I want it. 🙂 It’s nice to be able to let in some air or the sun in the summer.
- Decent Entertainment System w/Touch screen: Although my van was a 2008 it was one of the first vehicles to feature an entertainment system that allowed you to store songs right on a built-in hard drive. This was a neat feature, however what I really wanted was to be able to connect to my iPod Touch and my smartphone via Bluetooth.
- Leather Seats – Kids spill things, and so do adults. It is much easier to clean up accidents with leather seats. Plus I love my heated seats.
Other features were not deal breakers, and would be a plus. And other things that I was thinking about were usually standard on a car that has the above.
In addition to all the bells, whistles, and a snazzy look. You want to make sure that any car that you drive has safety features that will protect you and your family. Here is a short list of new technology and features that are available on some newer model vehicles.
- Rear Backup Camera
- Blind Spot Detection
- Side Collision Airbags
- Antilock brakes (ABS)
- Traction Control
- Lane departure warning (LDW)
Check out the below video from MetLife to learn more about vehicle safety features.
And of course as important as the safety features of your vehicle is having insurance to protect yourself in a time of need. And driving without insurance is illegal in most states. Don’t break the law.
MetLife Auto & Home® offers a wide range of property and liability protection policies to cover auto, renter’s, home, and much more. When buying auto insurance make sure that have complete coverage that protects you whether you are hit by someone else, or you make the mistake.
MetLife Auto: Different Types of Coverage
When it comes to auto insurance, there are three primary types of coverage consumers will likely purchase:
- Collision insurance: A collision policy covers your vehicle if it’s ever involved in an accident
- Comprehensive insurance: A comprehensive insurance policy will provide reimbursement for theft or damage by something other than an accident
- Liability insurance: Depending on the amount purchased, liability insurance may cover loss or injuries incurred in the event of an accident
MetLife Auto & Home® would like to award one of my readers with a 1 $100 AMEX gift card and a MetLife® blanket. Leave a comment below telling me your favorite features in your car, or a feature that you want in your next car.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you as part of my involvement as a MetLife Preferred Blogger. All opinions are my own.