I’m lucky in that I have not moved that much in my life. When I was a kid I only moved once, and as an adult I have moved only 3 times. I know some people that have moved dozens of times in their lifetime. I consider myself blessed! I am 41 years old and I have only lived in 5 places. Wow! However, I will likely have a big move coming in the next year or so.
As mentioned before I am getting married this summer. My husband and I will then work toward looking for a new house to call our home. I have been here in my home now for about 9 years. However, this home was mine and my ex-husband’s. Plus it is over 70 miles from my fiancé’s job, so his commute from here is a nightmare. We need to find a nice home closer to his job.
Just because I have not moved that much does not mean that I do not remember the stress, the packing, the work, the address changes, the paperwork, etc. It can all be very overwhelming. There is so much to remember, and so much to do. It is easy to forget some key things like the importance of protecting your identity, your data, and items in your home.
Here are 5 tips to remember when preparing to move to a new home.
- Make Lists: I make lists for everything! If you are moving you can find endless lists and advice on the web for what to do when moving. Seek out one of these pre-populated lists, or make your own lists. Be as detailed as possible. Make a list for packing, one for contacts, companies, credit card companies, etc. that you need to remember to change to your new address. Make a list for utility companies so that you do not remember to switch over your service. And make a list for things to check and do once you move into your new home. I’m sure that there could be many more lists.
- Use Master Lock Vault: Use Master Lock Vault to save account numbers, usernames, and passwords for household utilities accounts, email accounts, credit card accounts, and any other accounts that you need to keep at hand. Start gathering this info long before you move. This way once your move is done you will not have to dig through boxes to find bills. You will have all of the info you need in your Master Lock Vault.
- Change the Locks:If you are moving into a previously occupied home, one of the first things that you want to do is change the locks. The previous tenants, relatives, or friends could still have keys to your new place. And you certainly do not want unexpected visitors! Master Lock has several great deadbolts available that will protect your new home.
- Invest in a Home Security System: There are some great options out there for home security. Not only can you protect your home, you can integrate your lighting, garage doors, thermostat, and more right into your system. This allows it to be programmed and controlled from your smartphone.
- Get to Know the Neighbors: It is great to know your neighbors. Neighbors look out for each other, keep an eye on each other’s homes, mail, kids, and cars. Plus you may need to make some new friends in your new neighborhood.
These are just 5 tips that can help you make your move as safe as possible. Of course there are many more things to consider. Watch the video below to hear me talk a bit more about safe moving.
What are some of your tips on moving?
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by Master Lock. All opinions are my own.