I recently did a giveaway and a review of the new Jawbone Icon that I was provided for inclusion in my Gift Guide. The one main complaint that I had about the Icon was that there was no volume control. That has been fixed. On April 27, 2010 Jawbone released an update for the Icon that enables A2DP support. This can be installed via the coolest innovation I have seen in an earpiece to date, the MyTalk website.
MyTalk is currently still in beta, but if you own an Icon you can sign up and test it out. There are several updates and customizations available:
Audio Apps – change the voice of the little person that whispers in your ear. I tested out all the guy voices and decided on The Hero. Also available are The Bombshell (female), The Rogue (male), The Thinker (male), The Catch (female), and The Ace (female). You can also choose from Spanish, French, or German language.
- HandsFree Assistant – Use your voice to Text, Email and more while you drive – keep your hands on the wheel and your eyes on the road (Dial2Do account required)
- Jott Assistant – Hands-free notes, reminders, text & email. Talk to web apps like Twitter, Facebook, Google Calendar, Salesforce, etc. Get your voicemail transcribed. (Jott account required)
- 1-800-FREE-411 – An easy way to get free information on the go!
- Directory Assistance – Find a local restaurant or get directions using your carrier's 411 service. (Carrier fees may apply).
- Voice Dial – Be truly handsfree…leave the phone in your pocket and call your contacts with your voice. (Phone requires Voice Dialing).
A2DP update – A2DP allows you to listen to music and podcasts, or even hear turn-by-turn directions through your Jawbone ICON. It also has added volume control to the Icon. While in a call simply press and hold the talk button to increase the volume.
MyTalk is extremely easy to use:
- Sign up and confirm your account on the MyTalk website
- Connect the Jawbone to your computer via the included MicroUSB adapter
- Install the MyTalk sync software for PC or Mac
- Choose the Apps that you would like to install
The ability to actually update a Bluetooth earpiece in this manner can be useful in many, many ways. It will be interesting to see what other updates and innovations Jawbone may come up with.