In June I attended the Type-A Parent Conference in Asheville, NC. While there, I always take pics (of course), and I sometimes do videos of some attendees that I want to interview. This year, since I knew that I had to review the Flixlab app, I used my iPhone to shoot all video as well as take some snapshots here and there to include in my sample slideshow which you can see below. I made this one short for the purposes of this review, but I could have opted to not shorten the video length in which case all scenes would be full. And used a few different clips + stills. It was almost too easy.
So far, I love what I have seen with this app. It is easy to use and has a lot of features for a mobile video editing app. Features include:
The interface is well made and actually invites you to play with it. The front screen shows easy to find buttons “Make a Movie”, “Shoot Video”, and more. You can easily edit your account, invite friends to share, or check out your existing movies. There is even a listing of hot videos on the Flixlab site.
- Inserting video clips and photos from your camera roll
- Adding transitions such as card wipe, fade to black, push left, swap, and more
- The addition of transition specifically for holidays and special occasions
- The ability to add background music
- the ability to adjust the length of the movie
The “gimic” behind Flixlab is that the app stays small because all of the cool processing is done in the background, or in the cloud. This is awesome for keeping your valuable phone space, and awesome for sharing. But, this also means that you need to have a great signal for it to work smoothly. I was warned ahead of time that trying to do this over 3G might prove challenging. 🙂 But, when on Wi-Fi it worked great.
I also love that you do not have to immediately upload your video anywhere. There is also the option of just saving it into your film roll. From there you can copy it to your computer, upload it to YouTube, or just carry it around on your phone to share in person.
The creators call Flixlab ” a revolutionary new social video platform”. That about sums it up. You can do more than just create video. You can immediately share your movies on your Facebook wall. The integration is really cool. You can even tag friends right in the app.
- Great features
- Easy to use
- Lots of options
- Be careful using the video length feature with video. It might cut important words out of your dialog. 🙂
- Must have a good internet connection to use the app. A couple of times I got a timeout error and message that my video could not be uploaded. Make sure that you are on Wi-Fi.
1. After you check out the info above on Flixlab, leave a comment telling me how you currently edit your smartphone videos (if at all!)
2. LIKE Flixlab on Facebook.
Additional Entries (Optional)
3. Download the FREE Flixlab app from the App Store. Make a quick video (no longer than 30 seconds or so), upload it to your FB wall, and share it over on the Flixlab wall. Make sure to tell them that I sent you.
4. LIKE LittleTechGirl on Facebook.
5. Subscribe to my RSS Feed.
6. Follow Flixlab on Twitter.
PLEASE LEAVE A SEPARATE COMMENT FOR EACH ACTION TAKEN. EACH COMMENTS COUNTS AS A SEPARATE ENTRY, SO DON’T SHORT YOURSELF!
The contest will run until Monday, August 22, 2011 at 11:59 pm.