I have been a Comcast customer since 1998. I was there when they first launched high-speed internet. I was there through name changes, contract changes, and all. While I did try DirecTV for a while as my TV provider I have always remained with Comcast for my internet. Why? Because it is fast as heck. And also because through the years I have had very few problems. I know some others complain, but my problems have been few and far between and always resolved very quickly.
I recently moved back to Comcast for my cable TV service too. I had originally left because of the promise of cheaper costs, but once that deal expired the price skyrocketed! So, back to Comcast (now Xfinity) I went. I love having all of my services integrated and billed together anyway. And with recent improvements in speed and service you cannot beat it.
We have an Xfinity X1 DVR in our family room. It came with a great remote. However, I admit that sometimes I am remote challenged. LOL! I know how to use them, but when it comes time to search typing in all the letters by going from one row to the next etc. it requires a lot of concentration. So when I was asked to review the new Xfinity X1 Voice Remote I was excited! I have already gotten used to using voice on my Fire TV, and I love the ease of use, so being able to use it with my X1 is great!
Setting up the remote was a piece of cake. After pushing a couple of buttons it was ready to go. Of course it functions like a regular remote.
And you can use the voice function to do even more. This makes searching is even easier. All you do is hold the blue search button, wait for the beep and say what you are looking for.
There are many different phrases that you can use with the remote to find programs, change the channel, or even open apps like Pandora and Twitter. See X1 Apps: Set Up Apps on TV to learn how to set up apps on your X1 DVR.
Navigation is Easy
- “Find The Walking Dead” – Use the find command to search for information on your favorite shows. Or you can just say the name of the show.
- “Show me Forensic Files” – Use the Show command to immediately turn to a show that you know is on, even if you are not sure of the channel. Love this!
- According to Comcast, the remote even recognizes hundreds of popular movie quotes. They give the example saying “Life is like a box of chocolates” will find the search out and find info on the movie Forrest Gump. How cool is that?
- “Open Pandora” – Did you know that your X1 box can be enabled to open popular apps like Pandora?
- “Show me movies about Aliens” – This will bring up a list of movies available about Aliens. Try it with the type of movie you are looking for.
Check out the video below to see it in action:
- Great Layout – It’s the same as the Xfinity X1 remote that you are probably using now. And with the addition of the voice button it’s even better.
- Lights up when used – Great for navigating in a dark room without needing to memorize where the buttons are located.
- Easy voice navigation – The voice button is easy to spot and easy to use. With many different phrases and options you do not have to learn complicated instructions.
- Great range – Unlike some other remotes that you have to point directly at your television or cable box, the X1 Voice Remote works reliably even if your box is housed in a cabinet and out of sight.
A bit buggy – As with most new technology there are sometimes bugs to work out. On more than one occasion pressing the voice button either did nothing, or quickly told me that it did not understand what I was saying even though I had not yet said anything. Also, sometimes the “listening” screen did not show up. I removed the batteries and reinserted them and all was well again.
Overall the Xfinity X1 Voice Remote is a great addition to the X1 DVR. Its ease of use and many options for searching make it easy to find what you want to watch, record your favorite shows, or discover something new. If you are an X1 customer pick up a remote at a local Comcast store for no extra charge. If you do not yet have an X1 DVR give them a call and upgrade.
Using the X1 Remote Smartphone App
In addition to using the X1 Voice Remote you can also use your smart phone! Download the X1 Remote app on the Google Play Store or the Apple Store and perform all these same functions.
And if you have an Android Wear watch you can control your X1 DVR from there as well! Just type your watch and say “Start X1 Remote” to open the app.
The app opens right up.
Once the app is open you will be presented with a voice button to say a command, or you can swipe to find other controls.
Now off you go to search away! 🙂
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Comcast Xfinity. All opinions are my own.